How To Become A Professional Webmaster

The first step to becoming a professional webmaster is to learn all the various software and technology needed to build the websites. Advances and new technology are announced daily. Clients are more knowledgeable and tech-savvy today than ever before. You don’t want to be caught not being able to answer their questions. You also need to be sure you can deliver any requests that a client makes. If you promise to deliver certain features, you need to make actually do it.You should have to at least have 3 or 4 sites in your portfolio. These sites should be your best works, all showing something new and unique. You need to make sure that the owners of those sites are happy with your work in the event a new client contacts them. There are a number of webmasters out there who are not delivering the product their clients want. You need to make sure that prospective clients know you are reliable. If you are planning on being freelance webmaster then you should be ready for all the responsibilities of being a small business owner. Many businesses fail as a result of poor planning. Some people aren’t aware they need one while some just completely neglect it.

2737609108 ca10c3d634 m How To Become A Professional Webmaster
You need to offer your own equipment and be able to keep it updated. You also need to manage the finances and new projects. Knowing the most cost-effective services you need for your business like cheap web hosting is also essential. You should expect to spend half your working hours marketing and promoting your services. You will also be responsible for getting paid. Yes there is a level of freedom but there is also less security. If you become successful then surely it pays off but there is an inherent risk that you should be aware of. Working for a design firm may be a better answer for some. You have more resources and more job security. Of course you may be doing work you do not want to do and have to enter in a lower position but that is the trade off. You do not need to have a college degree to become a professional webmaster. You just need to be able to show your talent. There are, however, some real benefits in going to a web development school. A web design certificate may come handy specially when you’re facing a picky customer. Attending a business school may also be beneficial. Marketing and business management are a lot different from designing websites. Since you would be working mostly with people who want websites for their business, you should be familiar with various business solution providers including business web hosting which you would surely need. You also have to use the latest techniques such as social networking in promoting and marketing a site.
5348462414 0634d7fa78 m How To Become A Professional Webmaster
You may find yourself to be a great designer but not the best marketer. Knowing your weaknesses will only help you become better at the job. You may have to learn a couple of things the hard way but at least you will still be moving forward. I hope you found this post useful and it helps you become not just a webmaster but a professional one as well. Good luck!

Edwin.thumbnail How To Become A Professional Webmaster

1. SEO for an Online Store: Is it Necessary?
  2. Free Online Tools for SEO
  3. Beginners Guide To Browsing Blocked Websites

30 Responses to “How To Become A Professional Webmaster”

1. Fisayo from Secrets Of Entrepreneurship 27. Jul, 2011 at 6:19 AM

Great post Edwin. I really liked the solution you stated out for anyone hoping to be a professional webmaster. Thanks for sharing this unique content.

2. Rijans from Tech Gainer 27. Jul, 2011 at 1:57 PM

Welcome back Edwin. And definitely this article will be helpful to new webmasters.

3. Lilly from Dentist West Los Angeles 27. Jul, 2011 at 5:30 PM

This is really great advice… it’s so true. You have to be good at both aspects to be successful. Marketing is tough, but if you have confidence in your work then it should be somewhat fun. I love the colored pencil photograph, it’s beautiful!

4. Free newswire 05. Aug, 2011 at 3:40 AM

great job Edwin, you have discussed some of the important points about webmaster specially this one ‘you don’t need a college degree to become a professorial webmaster.’ anyways it is really nice article
    cheers.

5. George from Hifu 05. Aug, 2011 at 12:42 PM

True Edwin, it takes a lot to become a professional webmaster because the expertise expected from a webmaster is much more. If I have ti hire one I’d certainly look for the kind of webmaster you’ve described.

6. George Anderson from Swiss Army Dive Master 24. Aug, 2011 at 12:10 AM

Great points Edwin. I agree with you that planning must be given the highest priority, without which the outcome may be disastrous. And also that one must have good marketing skills in order to sell the software’s designed by them. I feel people with good convincing ability can be good marketers.

7. Wu from microscope illumination 09. Sep, 2011 at 6:49 AM

Very informative post Edwin! I agree with all the points you have mentioned, also how the website looks is very important when it’s about people coming back to read more of your content, because if everything is messy you are going to look unprofessional. Make your own research and comment on relevant industry related blogs.

8. Shane from Job Outsourcing 15. Sep, 2011 at 1:23 PM

That was a very good notes of becoming a professional webmaster.

As for me, I picture a professional webmaster as someone who can deliver quality service and give quality results to it’s clients and being able to deliver service honestly and with integrity.

9. Great post edwin this one is really nice and very informative.

10. Charles Ceccarelli from SEMA Trailer Hitch 19. Sep, 2011 at 1:04 AM

Present yourself well. You need to know how to pitch well in order to become a professional webmaster. If you dream of becoming a webmaster, it just cannot happen overnight. You need to keep researching and learning the new and the latest software’s in the market. A tech-savvy person can become a professional webmaster with less time than the other people.

11. Thanks for this great post. I’m only a beginner webmaster so this really helped me. Keep on the good work I really like your posts.

12. Bianca from Cell phone repeater 19. Sep, 2011 at 6:07 AM

One thing that you need to keep in mind if in case you want to become a professional webmaster is that you need to keep updating yourself with all the latest info floating in the market. Also keep researching for new things. You should be such that if anyone ever asks you about a particular question on computers, you should be prepared well in advance to answer them well. No matter whatever the question may be.

13. Jack from cosplay costumes 19. Sep, 2011 at 10:33 PM

I have done my Masters in Computer Applications but I think i still have very limited knowledge about computers. My knowledge is limited to the extent I have learned all from my MCA books. But now I think I lack far behind from the techie’s around as I don’t have adequate knowledge about the latest updates of the computer world.

14. Jenny from work wear 20. Sep, 2011 at 12:49 AM

A guy like Edwin can surely become a webmaster since he knows almost everything about computers and the internet. He keeps sharing the best of his knowledge in all his blogs. I remember the last blog which I read was how to hack face book account without even anybody realizing that their account gets hacked. Moreover he also provides you with some solution to protect your own account as even the others can try hacking it.

15. Jackson from roid rage 22. Sep, 2011 at 1:13 AM

Even small kids these days are very good at operating a computer. In our generation we were not aware of many of the things that computers had. To be very frank we were not even bothered about it. But now the kids want to learn everything and do it by themselves. In context to computers they are more intelligent than us. They will be able to become a webmaster may be in their teen age.

16. Pat Hold from cabling 23. Sep, 2011 at 9:58 AM

I have started reading more and also I have subscribed to some e-mail services where they keep messaging me about the latest information on computers and computer related topics. A webmaster need not only be aware of all the programming languages but also he needs to know who are the people behind the great success of computers and laptops and the software’s, games and many more things on the house.

17. Very good article, i was really looking for this article, many many thanks.

18. Jason from solicitors 26. Sep, 2011 at 4:06 AM

Some of them have an opinion that it’s better to opt for a Bachelor and masters course in Computer Applications. I don’t know whether it would really be of help in becoming a web master. I suppose it’s always we who have to research well and get good results out of it. There are some kids who have started working part time on the internet at an early age. There are even some who play games online and earn money. This is called a combination of hard and smart work.

19. Gareth Brown from satellite internet 26. Sep, 2011 at 5:19 AM

Children of current generation have much better knowledge in computers than we have. It’s only because they keep researching. Also even there are some who have started learning and operating computers by themselves. They say that they keep reading and collecting information from the internet as to how a particular thing functions. Parents these days learn computers from their children at times. Now we can see a bright future of kids of this generation.

20. Rachel from kitchen canisters 27. Sep, 2011 at 7:03 AM

Webmaster means a person who is an expert in computers. Understanding and learning computers are not at all difficult till the time you are not eager to learn it. Also learning computer is so easy that you do not need any help or ask others to teach you. All what you require to learn is the basics of how to run the computer and leave the remaining for self-researching. Ask Google whatever question comes to your mind instead of asking others.

21. Patrick from Noosa Overnight accommodation 28. Sep, 2011 at 4:14 AM

Motivate and keep encouraging yourself that you also will become a webmaster one day. Becoming one is not a difficult task. All you need to do is focus and try learning the basics well and then try getting deep into the advanced level. Researching would also fetch you some information on how to get going further. Small courses which would teach you the advanced level of computers would help you go ahead in learning and you would be then eager to know what’s next?

22. Carol Hong from tummy tuck toronto 29. Sep, 2011 at 3:50 AM

I want to become a webmaster too but I don’t know when I will get a chance to step into the internet industry. I am into hard core sales and spend most of my time traveling. So I hardly get any time to even have an access over my mails. These days I ensure that I at least can have access over the internet on my phone and keep checking for the latest updates over Google.

23. Domenic De Giorgio from metal valley flashing 29. Sep, 2011 at 5:06 AM

Techie’s know the in and out of the computer. They are expertise as they know and understand computers in detail. In my opinion even Google can be called a webmaster as it knows everything. There is no such question which Google does not have an answer for. Also these days a lot of people are more interested in learning computer. I think then in the coming years everybody would become a computer freak.

24. Gabriella from floors laminate 29. Sep, 2011 at 8:27 AM

These days becoming a webmaster would not be that easy as in the earlier times people who knew about even only the basics could be called as a webmaster since only a few people knew about computers but these days every transaction is carried on the computer over the internet. So I think it would be a tough job to become a webmaster as you need to get hard core and understand the computer in detail.

25. Fiona Samuels from training courses 30. Sep, 2011 at 2:42 AM

It’s wrong to define oneself as a webmaster because the internet is a vast topic to study on and the information over the internet keeps increasing every minute and every second. So nobody on this earth would be so who would be able to learn each and everything in detail and a webmaster is the one who would understand each and everything of computers.

26. Steve from GPS Reviews 30. Sep, 2011 at 7:26 AM

My small kid is a webmaster since I discovered that he knows computer better than I know now. In my childhood days I never had a computer of my own and so I never got a chance to become a web master. But at least now I am happy to see that my child is soon going to fulfill my dreams. I am really feeling proud because of him.

27. Katya from picket fencing 30. Sep, 2011 at 11:46 PM

If I ever get a chance to get back again into my childhood, this time I would be sure of about what I need to do in my career. I always want to get into learning more about computers but my parents and elders wanted me to become a surgeon or any other specialist. Only for them I had to compromise. But now I think I would not miss if I get a chance to become one.

28. Steve from used firearm sales, 03. Oct, 2011 at 1:10 AM

A computer is a very vast subject to learn. Learning in computers is a never ending process. But yes the one who understands the process and functions of computer more than others are to be called as Webmaster. The word webmaster sounds like something huge but in reality even a small kid who is has vast knowledge about computers can be called as one. So who are you?

29. Joey from sell coins long island 04. Oct, 2011 at 10:13 AM

If the people who knew only the basics were to be called as Webmasters than I think even I should be one amongst them. Knowing only the basics would be of no help in the long run. You need to know about computers in detail and in case of any problem in computer you should be able to solve the problem by yourself i.e. without taking any ones help. Now this kind of a person is to be called as a webmaster.

30. Claire from wall to wall cabinets 05. Oct, 2011 at 9:54 AM

I don’t know about others but I can never be called as a webmaster because I have never be called as one as no matter how much I learn about computers I can never remember for a long time. My memory is not strong so as to remember everything. I want to know a lot about computers but yes it’s true that I don’t remember anything.