How To Improve Your Download And Upload Speed

In this tutorial we’re going to cover how to improve your download and upload speed.

If you are looking to browse the web much faster this is the post for you. Hopefully, it will help speed up your connection and make it better than it now is, free of charge.

First we are going to run a download and upload speed test to see our speed now. The site we are going to use for this test is Speed Test.

Once you visit Speed Test click on ‘Begin Test’. Note down your download and upload speed.

5620823489 09dbc1d65a m How To Improve Your Download And Upload Speed

Now lets get to the fun stuff icon smile How To Improve Your Download And Upload Speed

How To Improve Your Download and Upload Speed

Clean Your Cache And Cookies

You must regularly clean your cache and cookies to make sure you get a faster computer experience. An easy way to clean it is to download free software like CCleaner.

Check If You Have A Virus

Viruses can also be another cause to a slow download and upload speed. To check if you have a virus open up your preferred Anti-Virus program and run a scan. If you do not have a virus protection program installed I recommend AVG, or Avast. If you do have a virus after the scan make sure to have it removed. If your anti-virus can’t remove it I recommend checking out MalwareBytes.

Change Your DNS

The next method we are going to look at is changing your DNS. DNS stands for Domain Name System. In Windows you need to go to Network Connections-Right click on either Local or Wireless Connection (depending what you use).

Click on Properties- Internet Protocol-Properties-General. Click on ‘Use the following DNS server addresses and enter the number of the DNS.

OpenDNS: OpenDNS is a site that lets you use their DNS. They claim its safer and much faster than anyone else so I recommend checking them out and giving it a whirl.

DNSBench: DNSBench is a piece of software that pulls up the fastest DNS addresses available on the web.

Once you’ve downloaded it go to the ‘Nameservers’ tab and click on ‘Run Benchmark’. It will begin to pull up a list of DNS addresses. Pick the one you find the best (usually the one at the top) and use it.

Thank you for reading this article. Hopefully you learned a thing or two and your download and upload will improve.

If the tips above did not work for you or you want an even faster upload and download speed call your ISP.

• What do you think of the post?
Edwin.thumbnail How To Improve Your Download And Upload Speed

1. Increase Torrent Speed Download
  2. Speed Up Firefox: Tweaks and Tips To Make Firefox 50X Faster
  3. Ready,Set,Test:Find Your Internet Speed
  4. 5 Little Known Secrets To Not Getting a Virus
  5. Do Not Take Home A Virus; Scan It First

19 Responses to “How To Improve Your Download And Upload Speed”

1. Hey Edwin,

Okay, got a few questions for you.

So what is a good download and upload speed? I ran the test but don’t know of this is even good or not!

How often should I clean my cache and cookies? I try to do it often, like once a month, but I don’t always remember.

Had never heard about the DNS you suggested. Have only heard this term on my domain name site but know this isn’t the same. Very interesting.

Okay, enough of the questions for now. Thanks for this, good to know.

Hi Adrienne. Questions :) I love them.

Anyways a good upload and download speed pretty much depends on your ISP. On Speed Test once the test was over there should of been something saying ‘Compare Your Results’. It will tell you the average download and uplaod speed of other people in America, your state, and your ISP.

I recommend cleaning your cache at least every one or two weeks, and your cookies every month if you’d like.

I hope I answered your questions, if you have any more dont be afraid to reply.

2. Thomas from IT-Blog 02. May, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Hi Edwin
    Thank you for the tips. Did not knew the tester. It is pretty cool. MalwareBytes is one of my favorite tools. I use that one a lot.

Cool, glad you now know. Thanks for commenting

3. Suresh Khanal from Bivori 03. May, 2011 at 6:30 AM

Useful tips Edwin. I prefer Avast as it is light and allows you to register for one year for free! And as I experience it protects better from online threats as well.

4. Brian | Cheap Laptops 05. May, 2011 at 4:41 AM

Yes i agree to the point that by cleaning the cookies and cache it will definitely increase the speed of the connection.

5. Wan Firdaus from Reviews and Guide 05. May, 2011 at 5:59 AM

Sweet tips Edwin.I’ve struggled with my ISP upload speed.Hope this will help :)

6. Some people never think how important download/upload speeds are, til they the realize how slow they were. All good tips for improved performance. Another suggestion for those using wireless networks in the home could be to ensure the network is operating at max speed. No matter how fast your ISP is, if you wireless network is not optimized performance will suffer. Always position routers free from external interference and change broadcast frequeny if necessay for best speed.

7. James from Web Design India 07. May, 2011 at 2:56 AM

Thanks Edwin for sharing such useful tips. I have done what you have mentioned and I am glad to inform that the speed is improvement very well.

8. Amandeep Singh 14. May, 2011 at 9:26 AM

These are really helpful tips.. If your internet is fast.. you feel on top of the world.. :P

9. Nabil from Morning Sickness Remedies 16. May, 2011 at 9:16 AM

Good tips, besides browsing the web, downloading files can be greatly sped up using a download accelerator like DAP.

Also, if you use internet explorer, switch to chrome or firefox.

10. thanks for the DNS advice. I didn’t know. I I recently applied for a new internet package and I want to compare my current speed with that of new connection they will give me next week. Thanks Edwin!

11. i hope this trick will work for me & eble to increase my net pc..

12. Great post.Thanks for your useful advice
    I’m also cleaning the cookies and cache it

13. Veronica Cervera from Miami real estate 30. May, 2011 at 7:01 PM

Thanks for the tip, I have heard a lot about openDNS regarding them being safe and secure for browsing but didn’t know external dns servers can improve internet connection’s speed, I’ll try comparing the speeds and see whether it works on my
    network or not. Thanks once again.

14. Now I know why my download speed is very slow. I never cleaned my cookies and cache regularly. Good reminder

15. Alison from Crash Diets 17. Jun, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Thanks for sharing the tricks! I have a Mac, but will check which ones work for me :) For virus checking I’m using the free online virustotal, to verify files before downloading….Thanks, Alison

16. Tim Wicks from Best Buy Kindle 17. Jul, 2011 at 9:29 PM

My internet speed began to really slow down about 2 weeks ago. After lots of troubleshooting, it was actually the modem. A new modem saw my speds double.
    Thanks for a great post Edwin

17. Jonah from how to speed up wifi connection 24. Jul, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Thanks for the tips, Edwin. I didn’t know that DNS settings affects the download and upload. Great tip! I appreciate it! :)