Speed Up Firefox: Tweaks and Tips To Make Firefox 50X Faster

Mozilla Firefox, even though already fast can always be just a tad bit faster. In this article you will learn some quick and easy tips and tweaks you can learn and apply today to increase the speed of Firefox by 50x or more (if you’re lucky).

It is best to test your browser speed with a stop watch before you apply the tips and tweaks and visit a page and see how fast it loads. Once you are done applying the tricks I am going to share below test it again once more and compare the difference.

Please share in the comments below if my tips improve your speed.

Now without further ado, lets learn how you can speed up Firefox today!

Make Sure You’re At The Latest Version

With every new version of Firefox, the developers have improved the back end code to make the browser much faster than previous versions of it. It is critical for you to update always to the latest version of Mozilla Firefox to ensure its at its best.

Uninstall Programs and Delete Unnecessary Files

The more programs you have the slower your computer will be. The more files your computer has the slower it will be as well. I want you to go to your computer and delete some garbage. Delete programs you never touch and/or do not need. The same goes with files.

I also recommend downloading free software like CCleaner, and Advanced System Care to speed up your system. I use them daily and have noticed an increase in speed of my PC.

Tweaks

Now we’re at the moment you have been waiting for! Lets learn the simple tweaks you can implement today to speed up and improve the speed of your Mozilla Firefox browser.

Now what I want you to do is open a new tab or window in Firefox and in the address bar type in without quotes, “ about:config

A message should appear saying something along the lines of  are you sure you want to go inside. Just click, Ill be careful, I promise!

Once you’ve clicked the button you should see a page filled with lots of lines of text. Don’t get scared! I will guide you through what you have to do.

This page is where you can change features in your Firefox browser. You can customize almost every little in Mozilla here in the about:config.

The tweaks I am going to show you will change the way Firefox uses your Internet connection. It will change little things in the way Firefox receives or sends information. Hopefully, with these tweaks your browser will be much faster.

I am going to tell you what you should type into the search box on this page, and what you have to change.

Lets start:

Set “network.http.pipelining” to “true

Set “network.http.proxy.pipelining” to “true

Set “network.http.pipelining.maxrequests” to some number like 30. This will change how many requests your browser will make. You can change this number a little lower if you’d like.

Now, right click anywhere on this page and hover over New and then click on Integer. Name it nglayout.initialpaint.delay and set it as a value of 0 (zero). This sets the amount of time your browser will wait before it acts on the info it receives.

The next thing we are going to do is to stop Firefox from leaking memory. I wrote about this in a past article but I will write it again here.

Right click anywhere and hover over New and then click on Boolean. Name it config.trim_on_minimize and set it as True.

For all these changes to take effect you must restart Firefox.

Conclusion

Go and try these tips and tweaks and please share if they helped speed up Firefox in any way. If you know of anything that can help improve the speed of Mozilla Firefox that I missed in this article please leave a comment below so everyone can learn and apply.

Thanks for reading.

Please share this article on Twitter, Facebook, Digg, StumbleUpon, or by Email.

Edwin.thumbnail Speed Up Firefox: Tweaks and Tips To Make Firefox 50X Faster

1. How To Automate Tasks In Firefox
  2. Stop Firefox From Leaking Memory And Leaving A Mess
  3. A List Of Firefox Addons That Will Make Your Life Easier
  4. Two GreaseMonkey Scripts To Remove Annoying Ads From The Internet
  5. Top Tips To Make Your Lazy Computer Zoom By

32 Responses to “Speed Up Firefox: Tweaks and Tips To Make Firefox 50X Faster”

1. Really nice Edwin. But I am very addicted to Google chrome browser. I found it the most speedy browser on the web.

Oh thats cool. Everyone has their own opinion, I just prefer Firefox.

Thanks for stopping bye ;)

2. Wan Firdaus from Reviews and Guide 19. Mar, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Great tips you got there,it’s a must do for me each I fresh installed firefox in each laptop that I formatted.

Have you checked out the Firefox Plugin Updater Check page at http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/plugincheck/ ?

It makes our job updating outdated plugin easier.

See you later Edwin :)

No I havent heard of that yet, thanks Wan. Thanks for the comment

3. Fisayo Sanyaolu from Secrets Of Entrepreneurship 19. Mar, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Great research Edwin, thanks for sharing this. I’ll work on it

Your welcome, thanks for stopping by

4. Sheila Atwood 19. Mar, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Edwin,

I am a Firefox fan and I had no idea there were things I could do to make it run faster and smoother. But this week I have had trouble I have not seen before and could use something.

Thanks for all your work. I will have to schedule in some browser update time and implement this and the leak tweaks.

It takes a lot of work to put this kind of article together I appreciate you work.

:) Thank you very much for commenting. Yeah, it did take me a while to compile this article.

Anyways, yeah when I found out you could actually improve the speed of Firefox I thought to myself, “Isnt it already fast enough”?

These tweaks sure do help!

Thanks for stopping bye :D

5. Johanna from GIJoh.com 20. Mar, 2011 at 3:24 AM

I always prefer using Mozilla Firefox than other browsers wherever and whenever I get to be online. Glad I’ve learned something new from your post here. I will surely try them out!
    Thanks for sharing! :)

I love Firefox as well Johanna. Please tell me if the tips work, I would love to know, thank you!

6. Hi Edwin,

I am FF user since about one year, and I glad I tried it.

I used IE before and I realize they are really different.

FF rocks, and it is already quite fast, and now you gave me this tip, to make it more speedy!

Thanks.

Im very happy you switched from IE to Firefox. Firefox is way better IMHO.

Thanks for commenting

7. Angela Artemis/Powered by Intuition 20. Mar, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Edwin,
    This is fantastic! I had no idea I could speed up Firefox. I’m going to print out your tips and apply them.

Thank you for sharing this important knowledge with us!

It’s nice meeting you too!

Thanks for stopping bye Angela

8. Hey edwin

Like many of the other comments I didn’t realize you could speed up your Firefox browser. I’ll be definitely checking this out and implementing it this week.

What Add Ons do you recommend for Firefox? And which ones slow it down?

Paul

Hiya Paul.

There arent really any speed improving addons for Firefox that I recommend, and I am not aware of any specific addons that slow it down.

What I do know is that the more addons you have the slower it will be, so I recommend going in and uninstalling some addons you dont need.

Thanks for commenting :)

9. I’ll have to try these tips out. I have Firefox and Chrome running at the same time..lol. I often have at least 10 pages open on firefox and about 5 on chrome. Sometimes more on each…lol.

It will be a neat comparison to see how firefox reacts to these little updates :)

Thanks for sharing!

Linda

LOL I used to do this with Firefox and Chrome.
    Hopefully my tips would work, thanks for commenting

Linda Reply:

All I can say is WOW!! Firefox is working faster than ever now!!

Thanks again for the tips, they DO work!!

Have a GREAT weekend!
    Linda

10. looks intresting…
    i am going to try…….

Yes, please try and tell me what you think :)

11. Great tip. Firefox have a lot of useful extension and they make slow.
    I love Opera because it very friendly with user.

Opera is on my list for the top browser. Its really fast and slick, but I love Firefox for its addons

12. Jane from led tv 16. May, 2011 at 4:28 AM

I just did exactly whay you write about and i’m going to find out if it will work, i hope so ; )

13. This is awesome thanks!

14. Just to say a quick thanks Edwin.Firefox on Windows 7 was really slow until i followed your advice.Speeding along now.

15. Arnum from DSiXL 13. Jul, 2011 at 9:21 AM

Thanks for the info Edwin. I don’t necessarily like Firefox that much, but it is the pick of the buncgh, and has addons that I cant do without

16. I have an SSD, and want Firefox to use as much memory as possible instead of caching to SSD (too many writes to SSD is not good).

With the config.trim mod, how much memory will be allocated to Firefox if any?

17. Thanks Edwin. I’m running an older laptop and your settings have made a huge difference in speed.

18. Kevin from Best Flip Phones 28. Jul, 2011 at 1:26 AM

I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to share this information. I am on the computer all day long and sometimes I want to throw this computer against the wall because firefox is so slow. Your tips have made a significant difference.

The only thing now is to figure out why it took me 2 years to be smart enough to type in “speed up firefox” in the search bar. Go figure…

Thanks again

19. Thank you very much for this information, and for making it easy to follow and understand rather than speaking hard to follow techie talk. : )

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. SuperPost Sunday - Weekly Roundup #23 | nittyGriddy - 27. Mar, 2011

[...] Speed Up Firefox: Tweaks and Tips To Make Firefox 50X Faster – by Edwin, guidegoodshq.com [...]