How To Set Up Group Chat On Facebook

Facebook is one of the worlds most popular websites and is currently the number one social network on the internet. What makes Facebook so popular is the way it lets you connect to old and new friends in many ways.

Remember Todd from high school? He probably has already signed up to Facebook, all you have to do is add him and you guys can live up old memories! How cool is that?

Facebook’s chat lets you talk to whoever you want, as long as they’re online.

It also has the ability to talk a group of friends at the same time. That means you can talk to more than just one person at the same time. This beats the need to type the same message to two or more different people.

Having group chat with my buddies lets me communicate my ideas to them all at the same time and we can even have a quick discussion too. Getting more than one persons input on something at the same time really rocks!

The other day I wanted all my friends to play an online game with me, instead of me going to see if they were online and messaging them separately I just told them all, at once, about the game. This saved me a few good minutes thanks to group chat.

The thing is though, currently Facebook does not have Group Chat inside their standard chat. To be able to group chat you will have to do a few simple steps inside FB.

how to set up group chat on facebook 300x112 How To Set Up Group Chat On Facebook

Here are all the steps to set up Group Chat broken down one by one, I’ve also added screen-shots to help guide you even better:

First of all you will need to make a group by clicking on ‘Create Group’ on the left hand side of the homepage on Facebook:

Give the group a name, maybe make the name related to what you want to talk about or just call it ‘Group Chat’.

Invite everyone you want to group chat with. You can do that by typing in their names inside the Members portion.

Also do not forget to select the Privacy settings you want for that group. The possible settings are:

Open: Members and content are public.

Closed: Members are public, content is private.

Secret: Members and content are private.

Facebook 1293224359559 300x162 How To Set Up Group Chat On Facebook

Press on ‘Create’ once done and finished filling all the names of the members and the other info. You will then be redirected to your group page.

Ta-da! We are almost done with all the steps!

Now, on the right hand side of your group page click on ‘Chat with Group’.

A chat box should appear. Instead of a persons name appearing your group name will be in its place. All the online members inside the group with also be shown.
EH ME bOREDD 1293224654727 233x300 How To Set Up Group Chat On Facebook

You should now have a completed and working group chat going. Hopefully this opened your eyes to the possibilities of Facebook and will let you connect even better with FB.

As a side note remember to invite everyone that you want to talk too inside ‘Group Chat’ or else you wont be able too.

• Did this tutorial help you?
moz screenshot How To Set Up Group Chat On Facebook
Edwin.thumbnail How To Set Up Group Chat On Facebook

1. How To Harness The Viral Power Of Facebook
  2. RockMelt-All Your Favorite Social Networks In One
  3. Google Wave Contest
Twitter Digg Technorati

57 Responses to “How To Set Up Group Chat On Facebook”

1. Johanna from GIJoh.com 24. Jan, 2011 at 10:14 AM

I have set up groups of people in my FB account whether they are friends from school or at work. However, I never knew I could make a group chat on FB.

Thanks for sharing! :)

Yes there are so many things you can do with Facebook. Some I havent even encountered yet!

Thanks for the comment

2. Wan Firdaus from Reviews and Guide 24. Jan, 2011 at 12:17 PM

Hehehe.This group chat really is a great feature and more private place :)

Nice.

Hi Wan, thanks!

3. Just know about this feature. it is surely very useful for more connection with old friends. :)

It truly is, thanks for the comment

4. I hardly ever use Facebook chat, but this could be useful in regards to business. I never even knew you could do that!

Thanks for the tip :)

Linda

I never really thought about this and business. I can see how it can be very useful since you can talk to a large group of customers at once.

5. very cool…very useful…any idea if they’ll be adding voice/video?

Nope sorry but knowing Facebook I won’t be surprised if u see it in the future. And if/when they do it will be epic! Agree?

6. Glitz from Glitzyblog 24. Jan, 2011 at 11:00 PM

Thanks for sharing this useful idea mate. i am not aware of most of the features of facebook and other social networks. any how i will give a try to this.

Hey Glitz, thanks for stopping bye!

7. Praveen from Techperk 25. Jan, 2011 at 8:00 AM

I never knew we can do a thing like this, thanks for the share :)

Your welcome. Facebook is coming out with great things!

8. Really cool I didn’t even know that you could do that. I’ll have to go give it a try.

Thanks for sharing this info.

Hey Wilson. I didnt know as well either.

Thanks for stopping bye

9. Nice Edwin. I will try it. But when my friends call me in group chat, I feel it spammy!

Why does it feel spammy? Its not like your getting random people into group chat.

10. Wu from metallurgical microscope 17. Mar, 2011 at 2:02 AM

It real fun to use the group chat option…. and one can easily create a group merge people in it and group chat….. Facebook is so much fun…. and its improving….

It is quite fun. Enjoy and thanks for commenting

11. Dominic Faith from self storage 24. Mar, 2011 at 5:00 AM

Facebook has given us the ability to opt out of Group Chat just by going to your Edit Settings button on a group’s page. So, instead of being a blanket response to all of your groups, you’re able to control who you get chats from and who you don’t.

12. simon from Web design Chorley 25. Mar, 2011 at 1:52 AM

Facebook Groups is a new product from Facebook where they allow you to bundle friends into packs. You get to form your own communications networks and you are able to collaborate and communicate more effectively as a result. It is like a normal e-mail send list but with more social functionality. Sort of like the way a Skype group works, but with e-mail as well.

13. Vanessa Rachel from cheap perfumes online 25. Mar, 2011 at 5:28 AM

Well, there are virtually three types of Facebook Groups. Closed (default setting), meaning only the people invited by the group members can join. Secret, meaning no one but the people in the group can see it and finally Open, in which case anyone feeling like it can join the group and start posting.

14. Shaun Pikes from watch mlb playoffs 01. Apr, 2011 at 12:16 AM

Hello,
    Ii have created a group .how can i ban some members of my group from group chat. i dont want those friends out of group but i want to ban them from chat. can you please help me?

Im not sure that possible, if it is Im sorry I dont know how

15. Victoria from foundation cracks Brampton 01. Apr, 2011 at 2:23 AM

Hi,
    Facebook allows group chat only for groups with less than 250 members. The groups you see are having the chat must be having less than 250 members. The option vanishes for a group as soon as they cross the 250 mark. Sorry you can’t do anything about it. Unless Facebook changes their mind in future.

16. Hi,
    I have already group and i want to set group chat in it. is it possible?

17. for few weeks my group’s chat box was appearing….

but now its not there ….

can u tell me how I can bring my chat-box again????

18. Joey from sell gold long island 08. Jun, 2011 at 6:58 AM

I love Facebook and enjoy chatting with all my friends. We share our old stories and re-live those memorable times. We update each other with all new that happens, share pictures and introduce our love mates to the group. It feels good to discuss and solve each others problems. It doesn’t seem that we are in different cities, states and countries. I am really very happy with this feature of facebook and many more as well.

19. Lucas from Dyed Bridal Shoes 15. Jun, 2011 at 8:02 AM

I enjoy group chat like anything. I have many separate groups and that makes things much more easy. One group is of my family and we all talk there. I love this excitement. Our family chats usually happen on the weekends when everybody has enough time for each other. It is so easy that my parents, who are new to facebook, use it with ease. A lot more can be done with this application!

20. Barrington Samuels 17. Jun, 2011 at 4:46 AM

Yes I agree about the benefits of this application. I have seen employers creating their professional groups and chatting with the employees after office hours. Right from home they carry out many discussions and share things. I have heard that it is quite safe and the content would not leak out. At least at homes, carrying out professional discussions would not be that bad with this beautiful set up!

21. My facebook group have 253 members and that amount is over 250 so the chat box was offline at present. I really want to know can i have any option to make the gruop back in chat……

22. kim from Immigration jail 18. Jun, 2011 at 1:07 AM

I agree with Barrington. Facebook is gaining professional acceptance. Till now many companies didn’t allow its use during office hours, but now its gaining momentum. Especially because of company page which all employees join and update. They appreciate their employees on facebook so that the employee feels good about being appreciated in public. It can be put to many more similar uses.

23. I’ll ask a friend to give in to my world

24. Patrick from web design Melbourne  27. Jun, 2011 at 8:47 AM

I have my account on face book. I have more than 200 friends. The way you add friends and make a new group you can also hide some unwanted friends from your chat list. All you need to do is after you make your new group just go to privacy options and click on go offline. Now you can hide yourself from all your unwanted friends with whom you would never want to chat. Try this trick it really works. Even I do it at times.

25. hey we r 10 ppl chattin in group msgs but sum ppl msgs r not visible 2 me but oder ppl r able to chat wid dem can u tl me wats d problem???

26. Nicholas from Hardwood floor 30. Jun, 2011 at 8:59 AM

Fabulous one yeah..!!! I never even thought of a group chat on face book. I used to chat to all of my friends individually on face book. Then at times, I never even use to realize that I have received a message from one friend while chatting with the other one. And so I used to prefer conference calls. Now that you have invented this and shared with us, I can certainly use this feature. Thanks Edwin

27. Jackson from Movers Melbourne 04. Jul, 2011 at 7:22 AM

Edwin, you have put in great efforts. Must say!! My sis is a big fan of yours. She always tells me that she wants to be a computer freak like you. She is so inspired by you that she waits for your new post to come. The one you have just mentioned about group chat is amazing. Group chat is the one because of which the traffic on face book has increased tremendously. Just waiting to see what’s next in your bag. :)

28. Moe Bashi from Toronto Limo 05. Jul, 2011 at 6:11 AM

Wonder why I never thought of group chat before. It is not easy to chat with 10 people individually and reply in time. Also, difficult to maintain the tempo and remember what is the conversation actually all about! Common friends may definitely settle into a group chat. We may share our pictures and favorite songs in no time. I am really going to try it out today itself. Thanks a ton guys.

29. any one can help me…i am unable to see my group chat option…please help me…my group have totaly 283 member

30. Peter from Interstate Removalists 10. Jul, 2011 at 1:02 PM

This sounds like a great idea as long as your company, as a whole, can justify a group chat and somehow be able to quantify the restults of it. Nonetheless, I learned something new today and thank you for the well written directions.

31. Brian Hall from business 15. Jul, 2011 at 2:28 AM

Before invention of group chat it was so difficult to talk to all of your friends at once. But now I don’t think anybody will face this issue again. At least, I love this group chat idea. My mom hates it because these days I give more time to my face book friends than her. Possessive you know. All of my friends talk to each other every weekend now. I am in touch with even my school friends. I am so addicted to face book these days.

32. Shiliang from digital microscope 16. Jul, 2011 at 2:02 AM

If I log in to Facebook then it is for group chat. I never update status messages or upload pictures, but love group chat and games. We friends play the same game and compete. Then update our scores and have a fun time. This is my best pastime on Friday evenings and suggest it to everybody. It’s worth my time my energy.

33. R. Lee Barnes from Credit Cards 18. Jul, 2011 at 4:39 AM

Hey I really appreciate your efforts. You always have something new to offer us. You know what these days on face book I am become the best player in group chat. I have made a group of all my friends whom I generally chat with. But I have changed the privacy settings in it. So now I can see everyone online together and chat to them together. Also I always chat with everyone and show them that I am always updated about everything.

34. Jennifer Thomas from gold 20. Jul, 2011 at 8:35 AM

I have more than 600 friends in my face book friend list. At times I used to find it very difficult to chat with everyone at the same time. Sometimes by mistake I used to chat with some other friend and reply to someone else from my list. It was indeed so confusing and irritating some times that I had decided to be offline to all of them. But when I heard of group chat I immediately added all my friends to a common group and since then I enjoy chatting with everybody for hours.

35. Bianca from Cellular antennas 25. Jul, 2011 at 2:35 AM

I don’t really know how it is going to be because I haven’t tried the group chat option. But looking at all the above comments I am pretty sure everybody is liking it and I think even I am going to be soon addicted to it. Face book is an addiction in itself and after the group chat option I think face book will be able to generate more traffic on its website. I don’t have many friends over my account but I think at least whoever is added in my list will at least not have any issues with me because I will at least be able to chat on time with all of them.

36. Sean Parker from grommets 28. Jul, 2011 at 4:01 AM

It will be interesting for some of them while others may find it a little boring. Please don’t mind to whatever I say but it’s true that some of us might not like this option as it may be a little confusing as all our friends will be available online together. I have still not experienced it so let’s see. It may be possible that the ones who find it boring may start liking it after use. I am going to give it a try at least once.

37. Dawn Strobel from puppy for sale 01. Aug, 2011 at 1:24 AM

Tell me about any one person who does not like to be on face book. Today, face book is become so important for everyone that every person who is introduced newly to the other, both of them will the next day itself search each other on face book. So looking at all this I think face book group chat will work wonders now! But some day there will be an issue faced by everyone when face book will require more time to load its home page. All of my friends one day decided for a meeting. And guess what? The meeting was on face book group chat.

38. Emily from Moving companies Melbourne 06. Aug, 2011 at 3:48 AM

Yes I agree face book chat is become very common these days. This news did spread like fire everywhere as everyone was very excited to use this group chat option. I don’t mind using face book chat as I am online only on weekends and usually talk to all of my friends on a Sunday. It’s fun to get them all together. We call it a conference chat. Everybody enjoys it these days being on face book. It’s a new attraction for all of us.

39. George Anderson from classima executives 09. Aug, 2011 at 2:18 AM

Edwin, it’s a great Idea. But whenever I am trying to make a group for group chat, I cannot because I have added a new version of chat in which I don’t have an option to make a different group for chat. So I really don’t know how to do it because I am unable to get my previous versions or previous settings. I need your help Edwin as I am eager to get this option on my Face book account. Please help me ASAP.

40. Doug Perry from ECommerce 10. Aug, 2011 at 5:37 AM

Yes Edwin he is right. I am also facing the same issue as of now. Whenever I click on the settings option, there is nothing called as make a group where I can make a group of all my friends where I can chat with them and have fun. Please help all of my friends are waiting for me to join the group chat. I am missing on all the fun. Eager to get this option!

41. Jack from Website Design Preston 11. Aug, 2011 at 7:01 AM

If ever there was any other website wanting to take the position of face book, I think that will be almost impossible because face book gives us a lot of surprises by updating its pages with something or the other new. Everybody is on face book these days. The site is too loaded with traffic and also due to the group chat option it will get all the more jammed. But still they are able to manage it well.

42. Rachel from Belly Fat Book 24. Aug, 2011 at 7:15 AM

My son is not addicted to drugs and alcohol. I thank God for that, but I don’t understand what is so good about face book. Whenever he is at home I only see him on his computer, logged into face book and chatting with all his friends. Especially after the introduction of face book Group chat option I don’t even see him over the phone these days.

43. Avery Gabriella from Avery Gabriella@diamonds dallas 26. Aug, 2011 at 6:59 AM

Rachael, what’s the harm if at all he is addicted to face book. If he is able to manage his studies and other work properly I don’t think you should be worried. Come on! He is still in his teen age and there is still time for him to enter his work life. Till then let him enjoy with his friends.

44. Carlos from Auto Loan 03. Sep, 2011 at 4:29 AM

Group chat is just amazing. But now I have installed the latest updates on face book wherein I am unable to set the group chat. I curse myself for why did I install those updates on my profile. If I would have skipped those updates I wouldn’t have faced such an issue. Now I have to chat individually with my friends.

45. Shiliang from digital microscopy 16. Sep, 2011 at 4:18 AM

Group chat is fun. I am married now and have a kid. But still whenever I log into my face book account I always have my friends to chat. It’s fun to be with friends at times. Whenever we get time we ensure that we do catch up on face book. Group chatting reminds me of the fun we use to have during our college days. We actually brush up our good old memories whenever we come on face book group chat.

46. Karen from SEO Los Angeles 05. Oct, 2011 at 3:11 PM

I was annoyed with the new changes to Facebook but now that you have pointed out that it helps with group chats I can see the benefits. Thanks for helping me figure out how to do group chats.